The beauty of these cards is that there’s 365 of them, one for every day of the year. With so many postcards, it’s easy to find inspiration to live, not spend, your life, every single day.
Each of the 365 postcards contains an idea, a suggestion, an invitation.
Each postcard invites you to think about, to feel toward, and to discover other things – activities and ideas – besides shopping.
Each postcard invites you to imagine, to remember, to engage, to visualise, to explore, to question, to prioritize, to value, to connect … and to do.
These postcards are based on the psychologically tested idea that small changes made on a daily basis add up to big changes over a period of months and years. This understanding has been tested and used by thousands of people the world over (just do an online search on “do something different each day” or similar phrases to see how many entries pop up), and research conducted by Professors Ben Fletcher and Karen Pine at the University of Hertfordshire is based on this same principle. Small, seemingly simple changes, made daily = a big difference to your life.
Don’t be fooled by the simplicity of the suggestions – their simplicity, in fact, is their strength. It’s the fact that the suggestions are so doable, so bite-sized if you will, that makes them powerful.
But they only work if you take action and do the thing the postcard suggests. Just reading them will not make anything change to your attitudes, your spending habits, or your behaviour. You cannot possibly imagine yourself into change – you must behave your way into it.
So don’t imagine what it would be like to do the suggestion on the postcard – do it and see for yourself.
10 ideas on using the postcards
- It’s entirely up to you to interpret the postcards as you wish. Some are quite concrete and specific, and others are deliberately more abstract and open-ended. You may choose to take the postcards literally and do the specific thing suggested on it or you may choose to take the suggestion on the postcard as a jumping off point to create your own activity for the day.
- If a postcard isn’t applicable to you and your situation, feel free to make up another activity to use that day, or use the suggested activity as a starting point to do something related to the activity.
- If you don’t understand any of the daily e-postcards, feel free to research it online or by asking other people to give you their take on it. Or even better, make up your own interpretation.
- Feel free to make the e-postcards mean anything you want them to mean. They are not prescriptions, they are suggestions only.
- Some of these activities may be easy and quick to do, some may be more challenging, require more thought, or take more time. Some are quite serious and others light-hearted.
- Try out all 365 postcards. Really take them on, do them with gusto and enthusiasm! Pretend they matter, that doing them fully – with heart, with confidence, with total commitment – makes a difference. Because it might.
- Put everything into doing the suggestion on the card. However big or small the suggestion is, take it on! Own the activity, play big – not half-hearted and small (you’re better than that).
- Give yourself fully to each suggestion – give it some charm, give it your all.
- Do each suggestion in the order they appear or do them when the mood strikes you.
- Some postcards might inspire you to incorporate that activity into your daily life, or to try something new or do something differently. Have the courage and the commitment to make that change.
However you use them, my sincere hope is that these postcards inspire you to live your life – fully, richly, deeply, lightly, playfully, lovingly, controversially, chaotically, calmly — however you wish to live it, but truly lived, the way that only you can do it.
Please make sure you read the FAQ page before making any purchases.